Mr. Burke is the retired Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of Consolidated Edison, Inc. (Con Edison), a utility provider of electric, gas, and steam services. He joined Con Edison in 1973 and held positions of increasing responsibility in system planning, engineering, law, nuclear power, construction, and corporate planning. Mr. Burke served as President and Chief Executive Officer from 2005 through 2013, and was elected Chairman in 2006. Mr. Burke became non-executive Chairman of Con Edison in December 2013 and served in that capacity until April 2014. He served as Senior Vice President from July 1998 to July 1999, with responsibility for customer service and for Con Edison’s electric transmission and distribution systems. In 1999, Mr. Burke was elected President of Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc., a subsidiary of Con Edison. He was elected President and Chief Operating Officer of Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. in 2000 and elected Chief Executive Officer in 2005. Mr. Burke was a member of the Board of Directors of Con Edison and a member of the Board of Trustees of Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc., which is a subsidiary of Con Edison, until May 2015.
Specific Qualifications, Attributes, Skills and Experience
• Extensive management expertise gained through various executive positions, including senior leadership roles, at Con Edison
• Wealth of experience in energy production and distribution, energy efficiency, alternative energy sources, engineering and construction, government regulation and development of new service offerings
• Significant expertise in developing clean and renewable energy infrastructure technology used in clean energy, solar generation, and other energy efficient products and services
• Oversaw the implementation of financial and management information systems, utility operational systems and process simulators
• Deep knowledge of corporate governance and regulatory issues facing the energy, utility and service industries
Years of Service: 13